Google+

Pages

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Old Dog, New Trick

I'm sure everyone has heard that old saying that you can't teach an old dog new tricks.  Well, I would like to challenge that theory.  Or if the statement is true, then what about the old dog teaching itself a new trick. I'm pretty sure that has to be allowed by the rules.

So, my wife was making me watch New Moon.  I'm sorry.  That REALLY didn't come out right.  Let me try that again.  It had been a while since my wife and I had watched a movie.  So I, being the WONDERFUL husband that I am, decided we would watch a movie my wife wanted to watch.  (And yes I know we are way behind on our movies.  We are poor and we have kids.  Movie watching in the theater is a luxury saved for RICH people.)

It was riveting tale of a woman (Bella) who has an affliction that only allows her one emotion, one facial expression and one tone.  (My heart immediately went out to her.) And if her struggle to live a normal life with these multiple disabilities weren't enough to make you reach for the Kleenex (with aloe), she's also in love with a guy who has led a hard life was well.  Not only does he (President and member of the Team Edward fan club) suffer from an even worse case of the very same disorders as she (staggering odds of that), he also has a skin disease that makes him light up like a Christmas tree whenever he is in direct sunlight.  You throw in all of this and add a Vitamin D deficiency, a dental disaster, a thirst for o negative and a side order of commitment issues and you can see where the woman's life is perfect for this glorious piece of non-fiction bliss.  (It MUST be true.  You can't make this crap up.)

THEN... she has another guy who follows her around like a lap dog. (Get it?!?)  He sees through her obvious drama (understatement) and loves her anyway.  He (Team Jacob or the Artist Formerly Known as Sharkboy) finds emotion in her that no one else sees.  He can smell the goodness in her heart from miles away.  He's just an all-around good guy.  So what does she do in this case?  She leads him on and then dumps him for Sir Sparks-A-Lot and the Cullen Posse.  (With their latest single - Baby Got Drac (A few of you will get it.  Even less will think it's actually funny.))

Quick interjection: I haven't seen the latest movie.  Nor have I read any of the books.  So PLEASE don't comment any spoilers about what happens in the latest film.  If I'm going to have to watch that movie too, I at least want the story to unfold in front of me.  I would hate to have to sit through the next movie already knowing what's going to happen.  Thanks.

Now, back to the real story.  We were watching this movie when MY dog starts to try to pick a fight with my WIFE'S dog.  For those who haven't read my earlier posts about my dog (also this one)... He is a 10 pound Shih Tzu.  He is also getting old (almost 12 in human years).  He's a very passive dog and only barks when he is left in a room that he doesn't want to be in.  He is never afraid of a bigger dog (including trying to hold his own against the St. Bernard a few years ago at the groomers) but he doesn't try to start fights with them either.

That last statement is very true except on those rare occasions when he gets a wild hair up his butt (another Southern term for my wife's Southern Terms list) and tries to fight my wife's dog.  My dog stutter jumps at my wife's dog and tries to play that flinching game.  He does this to really get my wife's dog agitated.  He goes around my wife's dog and follow him everywhere until my wife's dog attacks back.  Then my dog will jump up on furniture and try to gain the tactical advantage of higher ground against a bigger, faster and stronger opponent.  It seldom work out in his favor but he has been doing this for years.  This is always fun to watch.  And this night wasn't any different.  Or so I thought...

My dog finally took the advantage in this fight and I was cheering him on like he had finally turned the tides in this life-long mission to squash my wife's dog.  I was yelling and showing my support for my little champion.  My heart was racing a little and I found my excitement to crown the new champ of the dog world when I noticed something out of the ordinary.  Apparently, MY dog found this new advantage a little bit... uh... exciting as well.

"Hmmm... Honey... I think my dog just learned a new trick."

My dog started goin' to town (Southern Urban term.  If you don't know, ask.  If you are afraid to ask, look it up.) on my wife's dog.  And I was frozen.  I didn't know what to say or do.  I always wondered what my dog would do if he ever got the upper hand and I got my answer.  This was his big shining moment (so to speak)!  All of these years, I thought my dog with getting feisty during these times but he was really just being "frisky".

Finally, I came to my senses after laughing harder than I have laughed in a long time.  We stopped the whole ordeal before we had to get the water hose.  All was fine after that but I can't say I wasn't left with a few mental scars.  I will never look at those "wild" times the same.  And though I will continue to cheer my dog on to victory, I will also continue to stop him short of winning the war.  That's just not something you surprise your friends with (even if they ARE another dog).  Especially when you have to live with them afterwards. (That was some free advice folks. Take it or leave it.)

I figure he learned this new trick because we were watching a Twilight movie.  I can't wait to see what he learns when I have him watch a REAL vampire/werewolf story like Underworld. But that is another post for another day.
Enhanced by Zemanta

29 comments:

  1. I have a phobia of vampires, so I'm not a Twilight fan. Glad to hear that you, er, SOME of you enjoyed it!

    We also don't have a dog...yet. My rule: Not until the last kid is potty trained. I have a few years. (And the ads that pop up with this post are cracking me up! "Housebreaking Chihuahua?" LOL!)

    And? I totally laughed at the Baby Got Drac joke. Why, yes. I AM easily amused!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @The Mommy - I think the movies were over-hyped because of the success of the books. I will assume it's a better read that watch. Even with your phobia I'm sure you would have no problem watching Team Glitter... I mean, Team Edward.

    I like the dog rule. But I got the dog before the kids. So he's like my first born.

    Cool, you got my Baby Got Drac. Maybe I should have created a vlog for those who don't get it. A video would work wonders. Let me think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the laugh! I kinda need it. Love your spot on description of Bella. Kuddos to your doggie for ummm...finally figuring things out.

    @The Mommy - my kids would love that rule since we are 3+ years past the potty training stage. Unfortunately for them, I still think that four children and one outside ke-kat is plenty enough thank you very much. I do love big dogs (german shepard, huskies, labs and retrievers) but not so much the little inside kind. Those have way too much energy - which sorta makes me jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your hilarious account of the New Moon...interesting perspective, LOL. And "That was free advice, folks. Take it or leave it." ha ha ha... Ooooh, would you mind if I steal that phrase? :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tips on the movie. Now if the lovely lady picks it up at rental store I can tell her I've seen it and run away quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like them sparkly and PALE, you can do side bends and sit-ups, but please don't lose that pallor! Baby got Drac.

    And our 11 year old neutered dog? He doesn't need a companion when he gets frisky. He's far more entertaining than Twilight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG!! I read this to Caleb and we both laughed so hard!! He sits dutifully and listens to me go on and on and on about the stories and movies. I don't particularly care for the movies. I love Sir Sparks Alot!!!! Fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ROFL!!! Toma, you crack me up every time! I was laughing so much at your description of Twilight that I spit on my keyboard and my teenage daughter got disgusted by me, rolled her eyes and finally left my room. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @SandyAnnDee - Thanks! And the funny part about my dog is that I never had him fixed because I wanted to keep some of his puppies. He's from a championship pedigree. But the times I had him placed in a area of dogs in heat (yeah, I tried to pimp him out) he didn't do ANYTHING! Now, YEARS later when I don't even want another dog, he starts to figure this out!

    @dark_chocolate - Thank you very much. And as far as the phrase... You are in luck! I don't own the rights to it. So, you can have at it! I live in the South so I'm sure there will be a few other times you will read some... interesting phrases.

    @Spencer Park - Yep. That's pretty much it. Run and don't look back! :)

    @Anna - LOL!! I absolutely LOVE your lyrics. I might have to use those if I ever make a YouTube video out of it.

    @aurora's cross - Tell Caleb that one was for him. I know how critical he is of movies and he would probably destroy it if someone asked him his opinion on it.

    @Dawn - Thanks! You know your comedy. Your blog proves it. So to crack you up is definitely smile worthy. Sorry your daughter didn't like it though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha thanks for the laugh.. Even for a big twilight fan the way you described it had me lmbo over here..

    ReplyDelete
  11. So let me get this straight, is "starting goin to town" code word for pinning the other dog and f****** its brains out? I hope my comment is PG like the vampire flick. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. "going to town" while amusing is more of a sign of wanting to be the dominate dog, than of feeling "frisky". Your dog got the upper hand and wanted to prove it!

    My lab often does that to our much smaller dog which is quite funny as she really doesn't touch her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Shannon in cali - Thanks. I called it like I saw it. It was just what I observed. I'm still convinced the book HAD to be MUCH better.

    @Tit for Tat - That's EXACTLY what that means! There wasn't any accuracy so we didn't have to get the hose. Also, my wife's dog wasn't sitting still so it would have been virtually impossible but he tried, nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Anonymous - See. I learned something new today. Thanks. I will let my wife know that we are retiring from conflict with my dog being the CHAMP! He dominated over the (not much) bigger dog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sending the link to this blog to all and sundry.
    Baby got drac indeed. lmao.
    You even made my hubby laugh, and he's a tough crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @belindasbaubles - Thanks! That would be awesome! And thanks for reading this to a "male". For some reason, a lot of men don't read blogs. I'm not sure why. So, I'm always glad to hear about a dude hearing my words.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I started the books about 3 weeks ago after hearing friend after friend rave about them & the movie. In mid of the 3rd now. Loved book 1. Characters were actually funny and endearing. Just watched the movie and wondered why the felt the need to suck all the personality out of it.

    The artist formerly known as Sharkboy had me near tears. I could never be "Team Jacob" because everytime I see him I think of the time & money wasted when my sons pleaded for that movie. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  18. As a Twilight Sags fan and Team Edward supporter, I feel the movies do not do the books justice. The "forever love" part of the books is what draw millions of teeny boppers to the movies. I, too, drag my hubby to the movies to see ALL the Twilight movies. he goes willingly and happily I might add knowing he will not be thouroughly entertained based on the price of the admission ticket(plus popcorn and cola).He goes knowing that if we see a movie about "love" , I might GO TO TOWN on him....I see the connection!

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Jersey Diva Mom - LOL! I think my wife is still a team Jacob even after I told her that's who that is. The expression was priceless though. Especially since she feels the same way you do about Sharkboy and Lavagirl.

    @Heather - I WAS going to say that I felt sorry for your husband. But then I read the rest of your comment and my eyes have see the (twi)light! Even with the word "might" in there it all still sounds like a good trade off to me. I need to work on my bargaining chips for the last movie.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hilarious! From the dismantling of the Twilight Saga to the dog's tricks. Laugh out loud funny.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i was a big twilight fan for oh...all of 3 months. then i came to my senses lol but, i have watched all three movies cos if you watch one, ya gotta watch the others right? i promise not to ruin anything for you, but to say that eclipse sucked arse. yeah, i said it. lol btw you got bella aka kristen stewart spot on. she's like that in every movie i've seen her in. when she's on award shows or interviews, i cringe every time she speaks cos i really HATE stupid people. i guess you can tell i'm not a big fan of hers lol

    i totally got your joke and found it funny. haha @your dog....well, duh, he was getting frisky. lol

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Lisa - Thanks! As you can tell I just CAN'T wait til the last one comes out on DVD so I can watch it.

    @ciara - As far as Kristen, I think they knew they wanted the part to be played that way and got her. You are right. She is like that everywhere. So I doubt she WON the part from anyone. They knew exactly what they were getting.

    ReplyDelete
  23. p.s. i came back to tell you that i love michael sheen and he's far more awesome in underworld: rise of the lycans...which is a far more awesome movie than twilight haha

    btw now she's getting parts she doesn't really deserve just cos of twilight. :o/

    ReplyDelete
  24. You'll need to have a hose ready!

    Twilight, New Moon, I'll admit had a great soundtrack. Unfortunately for me though I thought it was totally boring. The books were 1/10 action and 9/10 romance and stupid crap. I admit to reading the books and enjoying them for the 1 part out of 10 that was well written action. I found myself skipping a lot though just to get to those parts.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Our last dog was a Shih tzu. They have the hearts of Lions, they love you like you're their soul mate, and they have the brain of a chicken. An average chicken. loved that damn dog. Course', she never tried to rape our boxer puppy.

    In the third movie it turns out Ed isn't a vampire, he was just a normal douche all along. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Que, Que, Que.... This post is a total knee slapper! (Midwest farmer term) I'll never be able to watch those movies now! (Which is a bonus I should probably thank you for!) "Baby got Drac" and "The artist formerly known as Sharkboy" So dang funny! I'll never see Taylor Lautner as anything but that pre-pubescent kid dressed in that black shark get-up trying to save Planet Drool. (Oh God, don't ask how I know all that!) Anyway, keep writing, we ARE reading!!
    -ME
    p.s. Thanks for being such a good sport, dropping by my little design blog! You are, by far, the best guy follower I have!

    ReplyDelete
  27. SNORK!! "Baby got Drac" ... I've managed to avoid the books AND the movies, because it all seems like drivel, but now I might have to check them out to get the parody. And I just guffawed at "a woman (Bella) who has an affliction that only allows her one emotion, one facial expression and one tone". Brilliant, man. Just brilliant.
    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  28. The one time I watched Twilight, I was like, "why is she acting like that?!" I thought I was missing some nuance or something in the writing. But no, she's just the worst actress ever. EVER.

    And sounds like your dogs got inspired by the violent love affair of Bella and Edward. Or something like that....?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Bwahahaha! I've never seen the Twilight movies or read the books, but somehow I instinctively knew they would be the way you hilariously described. And your dog... I say Congrats, he's the Champ! Completely.

    ReplyDelete