Google+

Pages

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Sometimes Celebrations are Quiet

I wanted to write a short post that steps away from the funny for a moment.  While most wrote about the 4th of July, my story happened the day before.  My 4-year old daughter doesn't like fireworks.  Actually, it's not limited to fireworks.  She just doesn't like loud sounds in general (unless, of course, SHE is the one making the loud sound).  So twice a year things get interesting at our house.  We really can't go anywhere or do anything fireworks related as a family.

Another odd thing about the 4-year old is that she has NEVER been the hugging, kissing or otherwise affection showing type of child.  She has been that way since birth.  So we have just learned to live with it. As she's gotten older she has eased off of her no "hug and kiss" rule but just barely.  And really, I think the only reason she does it now is because the little one doesn't have a problem with it.  And if the little one has or does something, then the middle one MUST have or do as well! It's the sibling law.

I gave you that background information because it gives more meaning as to why July 3rd, 2010 was a special night.  My wife took the oldest and the youngest to a neighbors house a few subdivisions away for some pre-holiday fireworks.  And I decided to stay home with the middle child because she wasn't going outside AT ALL.  Not with all of that loud "noise".

The fireworks were in the distance so my daughter was just a little bit uncomfortable.  So we decided to play the Wii.  We jumped.  We ran.  We played.  Anything to keep her mind off of the fireworks.  When we had finished playing all of the games she wanted to play she said she wanted to watch a movie.  Monsters, Inc. was on so I let her watch that.  She also wanted to watch the movie in "Daddy and Mommy's Bed".  That is her place of safety and comfort when there is thunder and lightning outside so obviously it works for fireworks as well.  Apparently, the magic works whether the parents are in the bed or not... at least that's what she thought.

I decided to do some (very) minor cleaning in the living room since we had just destroyed it playing games.  And I couldn't have been cleaning for more than 3 minutes or so when it began.  The "close" neighbors started shooting fireworks.  Knowing what I know, I sat down on the couch to see what my daughter was going to do.  Within a few seconds of the REALLY loud pops, I see this little ball of hair poke up from behind the love seat.  It was moving very slow and unsure.  Then the next set of fireworks: BAM!!! BOOM!!! POW!!! That's when I hear very quietly...

"Daddy...."

"Yes..."

"Daddy... I'm scary." (That means "I'm scared" for those who don't live in our home.)

"Do you want to finish watching the movie?"

"No, I want to sit with you."

With that statement, she quickly walked over to me, climbed on my lap and laid her head down on my chest. (Again, for those who don't live in our home... this NEVER happens.)  So I wrapped my arms around her to give her the protection that she can only get from her father.  And there we sat for almost an hour.  Few words were spoken.  In retrospect... What really needed to be said?

Most of the time I find the funny in life.  But there are moments where other emotions take over and demand that their power be respected.  And while the rest of the country was loudly celebrating our founding father's decision to become a free and independent nation, I was quietly celebrating my decision to become a father.

22 comments:

  1. Oh! You did it again. :::wipes tears:::

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very sweet.
    BTW, I personally love watching Monsters, Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the sweetest thing ever! I love when those little babies let you love on them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for making me cry, honey! I loved it though, and I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww that is such a precious story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was so great. Loved it. Loved the twist on it. And I have myself a little girl like yours. She's gotten older and sounds are such a big deal any more... but you do just soak up the love when they dish it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. See, this is exactly why I just gave you the Versatile Blogger Award on my blog. And another one too, because you are the definition of awesome.

    P.S. - "I'm scary" = cutest.thing.ever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Precious moments like that makes you appreciate those who DID sacrifice their lives so that you can have moments like that! You also realize more than anything that YOU would sacrifice your life without thought for your little ones( even if they aren't so little anymore)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet picture you painted!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Missy - Even better than a game of Starcraft!

    @SandyAnnDee - It almost made me cry too. It just never happens in our house. She's getting better but she just has this bubble around her. She's hilarious and fun but doesn't want you to get too close.

    @WeaselMomma - Monsters, Inc. is awesome. Billy Crystal - John Goodman = great!

    @Heather M - My wife gets all of the little kids lovin around here. So I have to sop it up when I get it.

    @Leslie - Speaking of my wife... You understand what that moment is like. In a lot of cases she just says NO and pushes people away. SO that was a rare moment. Thanks for your comment and I love you more than life.

    @JoJo - Thanks. You probably won't read another one like that from me in a while.

    @Shelle-B - It's weird about sounds though. She will cover her ears when someone claps or talks loud but has NO problem when she screams at the top of her lungs. And she's one of the loudest in the house.

    @Lilly - Thank you for the awards. I'm going to accept them and work on them over the next couple of days. I would work on them now but I'm too scary.

    @Heather - True. Very true.

    @Carrie M. - Thank you very much. I will definitely drop by your blog and check it out. Especially when you say you MISS being a SAHM! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Eric - Rare in this house but GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post. I'm always looking for those reminders.

    As a side note, my kids all hate loud noise (except for themselves, apparently) and we went to Disney World - home of Loud Noises. For our second trip, my husband purchased ear muffs - the kind that you would find at a shooting range - for small children - two blue and one PINK. I'm not sure why they make these, but if you wanted to convince her that some loud noises are OK - pick up a pair. I can give you the information if you need it...

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're right. The hug spoke volumes. I suppose, when push comes to shove, a kid really does figuratively and literally cling to his (or her) parents. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely post. Thank you very much - and I hope you don't mind if I add you to my blogroll?

    ReplyDelete
  15. @The Mommy - Thanks. We had thought about the headphones but never decided to buy them. How well did they work on your kids?

    @Keith - It's funny. This one is not a clinger. And I will be surprised if she doesn't grow up to be our rebel.

    @Spencer - Thank you. Feel free to add me to your blogroll. I will be checking out your site as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now I want to hug you for being just what she needed! That was a great piece of writing and a lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I am praying for the 3 men who will one day be the husbands to your 3 daughters. Good for you for setting the bar high. Wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Lisa - It's one of those moments that I would have to have recorded for people to believe it happened.

    @Carlene - I'm not sure about those 3 men. But send them to me at least 10 years before the actually meet my daughters. I need to vet them for a decade before I let my princesses meet their Prince Charming.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ok, I admit it, I followed you home (from Spuds place) This was a very touching story....and I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely adorable! Doesn't time just stand still during those moments?

    ReplyDelete