Google+

Pages

Monday, August 2, 2010

Sometimes Life Just Gets in the Way

I just wanted to let my usual readers know that I have not stopped blogging (or reading everyone else's blog).  This past week we have received a bad case of the "lifes".  You know what I'm talking about.  You are walking down the street minding your own business and then out of the blue someone gets a case of the lifes.

This particular case of the lifes was call surgery.  My wife had surgery a few days ago.  I'm not going to get into the details but the whole ordeal has made me change my wife's name to "1-percenter".  The reason she is known as the 1-percenter is because the post surgery issues she is having happens to only 1 percent or less of the patients.

The surgery itself went fine.  But the recovery has been everything but fine.  We were told that there was the chance of 2 possible complications but each of them has a 1 percent or less chance of occurring.  So the odds of getting one are slim but the odds of getting BOTH probably have the same odds as getting struck by lightning... in a snowstorm... in a desert... in Australia... on the 29th of February.  (Maybe not that slim but pretty close.) But my wife won the lottery and got them both!

Of course there are other things going on in life that take your focus away from some of the things you like to do.  Sometimes good.  Sometimes bad.  But no matter what you are doing to occupy your time and keep your spirits up, watching someone you love suffer is a horrible experience.

I know others have it worse so I'm not complaining.  But I AM acknowledging the fact that when someone you love is hurting, you hurt too.  It can be as little as a paper-cut or a big as fighting a terminal illness.  You can't help but want to at least share the pain if it meant the person you love could have one moment without it.

I know my wife will be fine in a few days.  I have no worries.  But for a little tiny moment of selfishness... She really needs to stop hurting so that I will stop hurting too.

:-(