Google+

Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Daddy's Got a Gun

My wife doesn't want me to have a gun.  But we have held off long enough.  I understand that safely owning a gun requires a lot of responsibility.  I have heard all of the arguments for owning and not owning a gun.  But there is one argument FOR gun ownership that speaks to me in a way that no other pro or anti argument ever has done before it...  My oldest daughter is turning 13 this year...

I'm getting a gun!

I'm sorry.  I used the term "a gun".  What I really meant to say was that I'm getting SEVERAL guns... and some snares... a few land mines... a katana... a yo-yo... a boomerang... some rocks...  a couple of sticks... some Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (for bait)... an XBox (as a distraction)... and a rocket launcher!  (I probably don't NEED the rocket launcher but I believe anything worth doing is worth doing right (paraphrased from a statement made years ago by someone I didn't even know).)

I don't care what side you are on gun control, there should always be a clause in there that will allow a father to protect his daughter from a potential boyfriend.  And I'm not just talking about protecting her against the bad boys.  The good little boys can stay home too!  They are not welcome here either.  My daughters are not allowed to date until they're 30.  Then it's only a double-date with me and the Mrs.  This is a steadfast rule and there is ZERO room for negotiation.  I have already compromised on this once.  The dating age used to be 45!

I know some of you are asking, "But what about your sons?  Do you have the same rule for your sons as your daughters?"  And for those of you who would question my ethics and believe that I would have a different set of rules for my sons than for my daughters, I would say to you...  That is ridiculous!  I would never single out my kids based solely on their gender.  That is a terrible message to send to your children and I will have no part of the double standard ideology.  I plan to treat my sons the same way I treat my daughters.  And those statements would hold true even if I had sons (which I don't).  I treat ALL of my children equally. (Hee, hee.  Nanner nanner boo boo!  You thought you had me!)

But I know it's getting close to that age (not 30, mind you).  I have been dreading it like you dread sitting on the toilet in the middle of the night because you know it's going to wake you up with its subfreezing seat.  And I also want her to wait a few more years because I'm in the potty training stages with the little one. (Men don't like to multi-task.)  And at the rate the little one is going, my daughter will be 30 by the time that happens so the timing works out perfectly.  I might just make that the house rule, though.  When baby goes potty, you can go party. (I'm sure I will have to adjust that house rule so that it doesn't imply that she is ever allowed to party in any way, form or fashion.  I will also have to adjust it to make sure I reserve the right to change it completely (and I will) when the little one actually goes to potty.)

And parents, be warned... If you send your son over to my house to see my daughter you had better be prepared to have your son return a changed man.  It's nothing personal.  Any son that plans on coming over to even ask my daughters hand in friendship will have to pass several tests (that are impossible to pass).  He will then write a 12-page essay of his intentions with my daughter.  I will have him sign it, date it and get it notarized to make it official.  THEN and only then will I even let him through the front door.  That's when the formal interview process will begin.  (You can't be too careful these days.)  He gets bonus points if he comes in with a job and credit history readily available.  (Remember, this doesn't start until my daughter is 30.  So these are not unreasonable requests.)

After he passes that (which he wont) the guns come into play.  I'm not going to go into detail as to my plans for the arsenal because a potential friend of my daughter might read this ahead of time and will know what to expect.  And I cant give him ANY advantage in all of this.  Also, I've been told by my lawyer I don't need to put that sort of information in writing (especially a public forum) for legal reasons.  But lets just say... that's where the real fun begins.

But for the real fun to begin, I will need to purchase the above list.  And I WILL have a gun (guns) and there is nothing anyone can do about it.  Again, I understand the responsibility required to own one.  But age 13 is quickly approaching.  So a few purchases are in order.  Then, maybe, one day... in the future... I'm not sure how far yet... but definitely ONE DAY.... I will see if my wife will let me buy some bullets.

19 comments:

  1. you need a dungeon and a trapdoor - any dangerous boys loitering could soon be dealt with

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Glen - Old country techniques! I love it! I don't know why I didn't think of it before. I will definitely add a dungeon AND a trapdoor. I will probably add a drawbridge and crossbows. Thanks, Glen. You have added a whole new world when it comes to this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I probably still have some barbed wire sitting around from when my Miss 9 was proposed to on the school oval last year. Want to borrow some for a while??

    ReplyDelete
  4. @belindasbaubles - Barbed wire... nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cracked me up Que. I think your post and mine REALLY highlights the difference between raising boys and raising girls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Victoria KP - Thanks! Especially moms with boys and dads with girls. The dynamic is COMPLETELY different. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the dungeon suggestion. Wish we could do that here, but dig too deep here and the hole fills with water. hmmmm...a water filled dungeon might work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. we have guns... many of them... all males have survived... even the one i dislike the most... but i have been sorely tempted to shoot him just for fun.
    trust me on this one, que... get your straight jacket fitted... add a rubber room to your house, you and your wife will need it... and
    dredge up everything your grandma ever taught you and pray alot cause at 13 is when MY SON and MY DAUGHTER lost their flipping minds... and at 23 and 19... i see little hope of them ever getting them back... maybe by 30 ... but that remains to be seen... oh and get some really good seasonings out cause eatting those words... that we parents all get to injest... are really tough... just sayin...i honestly feel your pain and love the plans its just that i have been there done it and am not real happy with the results... yet... because these teens now days are not like we were... sigh... sorry to go on and on but I want to see you make it through this... oh and I Will be praying for you as you have more than one daughter to go through this with... you might need to stock up on strong alcohol too if you are a drinker...

    ReplyDelete
  9. At least you're not overprotective.


    Best idea I've heard so far . . . I talked to a woman whose father used to drive her to every party pr get together. Then he would go in the house, meet everyone, stay for a few minutes. Then he would go back to the car and sit there until she came out. That is how I'm rolling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @SandyAnnDee - Water filled dungeon WOULD work. If you explained the consequence, there would be no way anyone would try anything!

    @Laura~peach~ - I have read of your struggles and I'm getting the alcohol ready as we speak!

    @Homemaker Man - That plan sounds pretty cool! I will need to buy an IPad or something to keep me busy but I could definitely see that happening!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The day after our first daughter was born my husband started compiling a list of convents across the country. I can easily make it available to you if you want. Just sayin'.

    And my dad OWNED a gun shop that he ran OUT OF OUR GARAGE when I was growing up (it was legit - we lived in the sticks). Maybe THAT'S why I never had a date in high school...

    ReplyDelete
  12. This takes me back to my late teenage years... my parents implemented a two pronged plan to stifle the dating drama. The first part included sending me and my sisters to all girl Catholic schools. A good idea in theory. And second was to proudly display the families weapons cache to any boy brave enough to cross the threshhold of our front door. My very first boyfriend came into the situation fully aware of what he had in store, but he came in with a plan. He distracted my Dad with compliments and admiration of his extensive weapon collection and hunting trophies hanging on the wall. He ragailed him with manly stories and hearty back slapping laughter. Boyfriend played his hand flawlessly. He won my Father over and we dated for over a year. Unfortunately, it ended and my poor Dad was more devastated with the break-up than I was.
    So beware of guys with a plan! And get yourself an IPad!
    -ME

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bwahahahaha. I think you need this, at least as a starting point:

    http://www.hightechdad.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/application_for_permission_to_date_my_daughter.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  14. Guns aren't as easy to come across this side of the pond but I am stockpiling a fancy collection of pea shooters, catapults and water balloons for similar occasions!

    ReplyDelete
  15. If only everyone could be as great of a parent as you. You are thinking ahead of time, identifying your goals and actions, and formulating expected outcomes. I think everything is great - except you forgot the requirement for a background check and drug test. Cover ALL your bases before you use the guns (with or without bullets).

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Reese PB Cups and the XBox may or may not be used to lure and distract the potential male "friend."

    ReplyDelete
  17. Missing your fun-filled posts, by the way. Hoping you all are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm pretty sure you and David are on the same page. But we already have the guns. Funnily enough he planned ahead and most of them are in my name. I didn't think about that until just now....

    ReplyDelete
  19. We have 13 year old twins. And a bit of a "Halle Berry if she had longer legs" thing going on. I am passing your link on to my husband.

    ReplyDelete