Google+

Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

Attack of the Girls - Heredity or Environment

To anyone out there in the blogosphere listening to this message, I have a question for you.  Is it heredity or environment that causes little girls to beat up on their father?  (Really, I'm just wanting to know if I can blame this sort of behavior on their mother.  I probably shouldn't have told that since 95% of my readers are women and I'm sure most of those are mothers.  Maybe I should re-word that...) I only ask this question because I want to make sure my lovely wife is not sitting up nights wondering if she's a good parent or not because she has raised her little girls to enjoy beating up their father.  This will be like CSI.  I will use this evidence to EXCLUDE my wife as a suspect.

I know my wife is going to say, "Well, they beat me up too."  But it's a little different with her.  They beat her up during the designated "beat up mommy time". Me??? I get beat up all of the time because they think it's funny.  After the nightly reading of books to the 2 little ones, the middle child looks at me with the little puppy dog eyes and says, "Can I have a hug and a kiss, daddy?"  To the innocent (naive) observer this sounds like a sweet gesture.  It sounds like a child who loves her father and who just can't sleep until she gets her assurance that he loves her back.  WRONG!!!!!  This girl wants me to lean in closer so that I can get within her arm's reach.  Because HER idea of showing daddy some love is thumping, hitting or punching her father into submission...  EVERYNIGHT! I didn't teach her that!  I have no idea where she got that one from.  I'm not even going to get into the hand smashing that goes on when I'm reading the books to her.

Yo Gabba Gabba
Then the 2YO... She always wants me to beatbox.  You know, like Buffy from the Fat Boys or Doug E. Fresh.  And if you don't know them, you might know Biz Markie because he is on Yo Gabba Gabba now.  (He used to be a mean beatboxer back in the day.  My, how the mighty have fallen.)  Anyway, she wants me to beatbox so she can join in.  And, again, on the outside looking in that looks sweet.  It looks like she wants to perform a sweet duet with her father. NAY, NAY NAY!!!  She wants me to make the noise with my mouth just so she can trump it with an even GREATER noise from hers.

She opens her mouth and nothing comes out at first.  I can only guess that the squeal she is making is at such a high frequency that humans can't hear it.  Realizing that this does not have the effect she wants, she brings the tone down to audible levels.  But really, just barely to that level.  It still has to be at a high enough level to shatter glass and bust daddy's ear drums.  As I involuntarily hit the floor due to a pain that starts in my ears, goes down my spine and ends right around my pinky toe, two things happen.

One, she starts her maniacal laughter.  She finds this weakened state her father is in... is funny!  Not just normal haha funny.  I'm talking HAHA, LOL, LHLTBO (Laugh Her Little Toddler Behind Off), I can't believe this is not butter FUNNY.  And just when ringing dampens and my hearing slowly starts to come back, she goes into part two... "Again, daddy, again!"  And as bad as that is it doesn't even cover the crown jewel (no pun intended) of the anti-daddy behavior.

She also likes to make it look like she is going to give daddy a hug when I come home.  At which point she yells, "Daddy, daddy!!!" and comes running toward me.  She looks like she going in for a child-like loving bear hug.  But right at the event horizon of a safe hug or a disaster she always seems to lead with her head and chooses disaster.  That's when she shows the true colors of her intent and it is to destroy the crown jewels (pun intended).  And I know she is targeting daddy with this attack because she never hits mommy in the crown jewels... You know what?  That's a bad argument.  Scratch that statement from the record.  But you know what I mean.

Now, the oldest child is a little different.  She is the most dangerous of the kids.  Her attacks on daddy are swift.  They are accurate.  They are very calculated.  AND they are efficient.  She is very stealthy with her attacks.  I never see them coming even if I'm expecting something.  Her attacks are also deadly.  She doesn't play little mind games like her little sisters.  She is seasoned and very well trained.  She knows how to hit me where it hurts.  She goes straight for the wallet.  She disguises her attacks by making it look like she needs things like a school trip or construction paper for a class project or food and water.  Whatever!  I know better.  It's just another attempt to hit daddy and laugh about it.

I guess I will just have to suck it up and continue moving forward.  From what I understand the hits are going to keep on coming.  And apparently they get harder.  There's outward defiance, boyfriends, college and weddings and mess like that.  I'm going to keep searching because I'm sure this is a conspiracy of some sort.  I refuse to believe this is hereditary.

I think I really need to look into more WIN/WIN situations since they like to see their father in pain.  Maybe I should take them to watch me play golf.  As bad as I am at that, they wouldn't stop laughing for weeks!  My next post might just be about how I tried to pass that by my wife as a more constructive way for the kids to enjoy time with their father.  I will succeed where as generations of fathers have failed!  (This should be fun.)

8 comments:

  1. Honestly When me and my sisters attacked my dad, it was always at the wallet and it was always a conspiracy that mother was in on...

    lol.. your daughters sound like joys (thats not sarcasm)... I can see that they are very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @SY - Yeah, they are joys when they are not trying to destroy me from the wallet out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. well...you my friend have caused this wonderful thing in your girls... because somewhere sometime they did it and you laughed or allowed it or the response was so wonderful to them that they found this as an acceptable form of behavior.

    Sreiously... que, I have been learning so much about me and the thngs I have caused in my kids who are considerably older than your kids... and I am absolutely makeing different choices and decisions with my grand kids.

    I was handed this book by my sister called, BOUNDARIES when to say yes when to say no how to take control of your life ...told in no uncertian terms to read it ... right then...and so i did ... and am and oh my GOD the things i have learned about me... scarey.

    I have found and am finding that even the simple things have lasting affects . effects (never quite know which is the right one to use) in how we relate to each other and how they relate to others...

    you know that thing i am sure your grandma said when you were young about...picking and choosing the battles with your kids??? well it is so true in EVERYTHING....and it will help form and decide what kind of relationship you have with your wife, your kids, everyone and everything in your life.

    By the way I love your grandma stories I would really have loved her so much :)

    and now to the fun stuff... ITS NOT TOO LATE and Thanks for the fun post and I cant wait to see what you have to say about the teen years LOL...

    big cyber hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't help but think that it has something to do with how we're wired. When Chloe was a baby (19 years ago!), she would start squealing when Doug came in the door, home from work. She'd lean so far over in her bouncy baby catapult thingy that she'd almost tip it over. There was lots of physical goofing around until she, too, discovered the ability to bring him to his knees via the wallet.

    I don't know if it's gender specific. My brother used to run down the hall and bite our dad on the butt when he got home from work. Yeah, he's now the Chief of Police. From butt biter to cop. Can you do some CSI on that, please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Laura~peach~ - You are right about my grandmother. I wish I had taken the time to have more memories of her. I'm not sure if I have even posted about here on here. I might have to change that. And it's funny that you mention the teen years. I think that is the topic of my next post. :)

    @Lisa - I think you are trying to draw my attention away. It IS gender specific! The butt biter to CoP was just training. He knew at an early age that he was going to be chewing people out for a living... just not literally. I didn't even need my CSI skills for that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have 11 month BG twins, & they beat on me all the time, - often kicks to the 'crown jewels'. And here's me thinking it was innocent & accidental! looks like I've got a a lot more pain to look forward to: thanks for the warning ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @JallieDaddy - I'm glad I could help!!! Dad By Trade - Saving fathers... one jewel at a time. :)

    ReplyDelete