Google+

Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

A Bird in the Fender is Worth....

This post is not going to be interesting.  I'm setting the bar right now.  This is simply me telling you of something that happened to me a few days ago. (Did I mention that this was not going to be interesting?)

I notice odd things in life.  I think my senses are screwed up.  I have a bad sense of smell but my nose will pick up the most obscure scents lingering around.  (That not only has some advantages but it also some VERY distinct disadvantages.)  My hearing is similar.  I can hear a fly flying around in another room or even a conversation going on through walls and upstairs/downstairs in my house but, for some reason, I can't hear my wife telling me that the trash needs to go out, even when she is standing in front of me ...and looking directly at me ... and making me repeat the words that I obviously can't hear!  (Again... advantages and disadvantages.)

This rare oddity also works with my sight.  I have impaired vision (thus the glasses) but I will SEE the strangest things.  I don't say anything because I don't want my wife to think I'm crazy.  (We have a lifetime to be together.  I don't want to have this "weird sight thing" held over me for the next 40 - 50 years.)  I'm still not convince that I'm seeing something strange or that I'm interpreting what I see strangely. (See why I can't tell my wife?)  Anyway... here is an example of what I'm talking about.

The End (First): I had to ask myself, "Do animals, like birds, thrill seek?"

The Beginning (Second... because I'm cool like that.): So I was driving home from work the other day.  There was nothing special about the trip until I made the last turn and I was on my street.  I noticed a little bird in the road on my side of the street.

Initially, there was nothing strange about that either as it happens all of the time.  But that fowl looked foul.  He looked like he wanted to play chicken!  Of course I'm going to win this because every physics lesson I remember from high school tells me that staying on the present course was only going to end badly for the birdie.  (Basic Math had me winning this too: little bird 0.5 lbs + BIG BAD SUV 4000 lbs = me winning EVERY SINGLE time!)

Even with the Vegas House style odds greatly in my favor,  I am by no means evil (at least I'm not admitting to it here).  So I did slow down a little bit to give the bird some more time to check with his bookie.  (If it had been a cat, I can't say I would have been as nice.  But before I get email from the cat-lovers out there... I would have slowed down for a cat, too... just not as much.)  After getting a text from his bookie, the bird decided it was a battle he can't win.  So he hopped over to the left lane and admitted defeat. (For my UK (United Kingdom not University of Kentucky or Kansas) fans, you are now considered driving in the bird lane.)  The victory was mine... or so I thought.  Apparently, the ACTUAL competition had yet to begin.

As I neared the bird, he began to fly.  My first thought was that he was going to fly away.  But, Nooooo... He started flying in the bird lane in the same direction I was going!  It reminded me of the Dave Chappelle line, "I'm gonna race 'em!" (Most of you wont get that one.  But the ones who do will find it absolutely hilarious!) He started speeding up.  This bird wanted to race.  I know some of you are saying that he was just a little scared bird flying for his life.  But you are being very naive.  He's a bird.  At ANY point in time he could have flown upwards and away but THAT bird chose to out(fly)run my car.

Now, I'm the smart one here.  I am the creature of higher intelligence.  Between the bird and ME, I'm the one who knows that regular birds can't out-fly this car.  That knowledge alone should be enough to just smile about what happened and move one.  It's moments like these that men should rise above petty competition for zero gain.  We must take the high road.  But thinking about it, the high road would technically have been easier for the bird... since he can fly!  And THAT knowledge was what I allowed to "drive" my decision.  Oh... IT WAS ON! (For the female of the human species: The male of the species is missing the gene that allows us to take the high road when we have been challenged to a competition.  (It's similar for dares.) It has been a curse every since Eve challenged Adam to an apple eating contest.  She won...  He lost twice!)

So, I was driving.  The bird was flying.  I'm speeding up a little because I'm not going to let that bird take me in a race that I didn't know I was going to be in.  It's just not happening.  At that moment, I look forward (which is where I should have been looking to begin with) instead of at the bird to my side and I see there is another car coming toward us (in HIS lane, of course).  I then realize I have this race in the bag.  So I don't even need to push it.  I let off the gas a little (but not enough to let the bird win.)  It should have been over and done with at this point.  The car was coming.  I'm sure the bird saw it.  And being a bird, he should have just flown OVER the car coming and that should have been it.  But since I'm taking the time to tell this story, you should know that the normal route wasn't take.

The bird wasn't budging.  Not only did he play chicken with my car, he was playing chicken with the car coming toward us.  I honestly thought I was about to see feathers go flying over the roof of the oncoming car.  But that didn't happen.  That bird (and I will promise on a stack of bibles or testify in a congressional hearing), instead of going OVER the other car (again, he could do it at any time... he's a bird), chose to kick it into another gear.  He flew even faster at the oncoming car and cut into my lane in front of me at the last second!  I tripped out!  That was one of the craziest things I had ever seen!  He won the stupid race.

After he had performed his daredevil feat, he FINALLY decided to fly upwards.  I'm sure when he felt he was clear he turned toward me and waived a wing (kinda hard to tell when they are flying) and said, "See ya sucka!"  I'm also  pretty sure he literally gave me "the bird" too and went on his merry way.  (But I can't confirm that one.)  I wanted to explain to the bird that I let off the gas as an act of kindness.  I wanted to let him know that even in competition, men will still sometimes submit to act of humanity.  I also wanted to explain to the bird that I let him win because my street has 2 cops that live on it and they don't like speeding.  There were a lot of reasons I LET the bird win that day.  But if I tried to explain that to him, do you think he would have listened?  I doubt it.  Which really stinks because there is a bird somewhere in this world that thinks it won that race and defeated two humans in a game of chicken.  But my readers know what really happened.  It was my single act of kindness that let him live to tell the tale to all of his little avian buddies.

Aren't you glad this wasn't about it a cat.  This story might have had a different ending.  :)

20 comments:

  1. http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/the_playmates/beep_beep.html

    That's what came to mind, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO You sir, live in MY world ... and not many people do. After reading your post I can answer you dilemma. You do SEE strange things, at least things that others would call strange. You are not just interpreting them weirdly. And yes, if you tell most people about the things you see they WILL think you're crazy.

    Great story, well told.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, oh, only you can take an innocent bird flying and turn it into a daredevil race between men and thrill-seeking birds who are adamant on winning and proving their superiority. Now I know what you mean when you say you see the STRANGEST things... could it all be in your head? Hmmmm....now, that is an idea... :D You made me laugh and laugh again, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @miriamp - That's a pretty funny song. Thanks for sharing!

    @Mustang Sally - Thanks for your words and explanation. I feel a little better now. Now I just have to make sure no one reads about this or they WILL know I'm crazy. It will just be our secret.

    @dark_chocolate - THAT was NO innocent bird. It had just as much blame in all of this as I did. All he had to do was fly away. But, no! It wanted to challenge me. What kind of sick and twisted creature does that?!? (Besides man, of course.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate to be disagreeable, but that was plenty interesting. Maybe because I share your heightened senses (the ones that make people think we're a little nuts) and because I've done gentle battle with what I call suicidal birds. We live in the country and often I'll be driving past clumps of weeds in the morning and some bird will give both me and him a heart attack by looming up out of the weeds and flying in front of the headlights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Lisa - Surely we are the sane ones in this crazy world. :) After hearing your story, I'm convinced that there are a few bird of much higher intelligence. We could pitch that but there would be very few who believe us. But I'm willing to go the extra mile to expose the deception.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @SandyAnnDee - What? Are you laughing because I let my sympathetic side take over and ALLOWED a bird not only a victory but also his life? I thought so. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What do you mean!? That was totally interesting! Racing a crazy bird, bird wins race (er, I mean you won), bird gives you the bird... . totally interesting. I think birds have gangs. As initiation they have to fly in front of oncoming traffic. I always say, when they make it, "He's in the gang!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Keith Wilcox - See!!! You get it. I am completely on board with this gang thing. That would explain another situation that happened when my dad and I were going home one day. A bird flew into the drivers side window and out the passengers side window of the car in front of us. The 2 people FREAKED OUT (understandably)!!! Other than that incident, what are the odds of that happening without the bird, driver or passenger getting hurt like that. THAT bird is definitely in the gang!

    ReplyDelete
  10. absolutely interesting... and we have that birds kin folk here in Georgia!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Laura ~Peach~ - Thanks. But since I'm in TN, I think you are getting OUR crazy birds as they fly South for the Winter. I could be wrong. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to say that I can one up you on your bird story. My husband and I were on his motorcycle one day and I see this squirrel up ahead looking like he wants to cross the street. He would run out and run back in and then all of a sudden he came right at us -- and went under the bike between the two wheels -- and right across the two lanes. It scared the hell out of us and, no doubt, him.

    I have to say that I don't slow down for cats that much - never hit one and probably never will - but it is fun to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @lizziehoop - That is ONE LUCKY squirrel! :) I'm with you on the cats. I haven't hit one either... yet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would have slowed for a bird, but sped up for a cat (I hate the things)!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The birds here are certainly in gangs. Especially the crows. But they're nasty! If you hit one with your car or even if the kids throw stones at them (what??? they're ugly and noisy pests!), they'll come in swarms to attack. More than one of my friends has a scar somewhere from those nasty creatures. They especially like to attack if you're eating anything they might want, which is just about anything, anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dude, he's gotta be related to my psychotic pigeon from this post:

    http://longdazeshortyears.blogspot.com/2010/06/toyota-must-have-installed-his-brakes.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Spencer Park - You are a great man Spencer. :)

    @Gaby - Thanks Gaby... Now I'm going to be worried about crows now.

    @The Mommy - That is a great story! But 70 mph. I would have definitely raced that one. I would have been curious to see just how fast that thing could go. I mean, yeah, I could have googled it but what's the fun in that???

    ReplyDelete
  18. that's funny - I get birds playing chicken with me here, diving across the road at the last minute. But never anything quite like that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. you have a strange animal attraction lol man, if it was a cat, that would be scary...cos that cat would win, too, somehow. they always do. can you tell i don't like cats? lol i don't like birds for that matter lol

    ReplyDelete