Google+

Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Whoever said size doesn't matter... lied! (Part 2)

When I'm driving my Civic, I feel like Toad from Mario Kart.  Everyone else is driving normal sized vehicles and I'm driving this little go-kart from a Nintendo game.  And not only that, while I'm driving I keep looking around waiting for someone to hit me with a banana or something.   As a matter of fact, because of the Mario Kart mentality, I come to a complete stop when I see a turtle crossing the road.  The people behind me tend to think I'm this UAH (Uber-Animal-Humanitarian - if that's possible).  But really, I've seen what happens when Toad runs into a turtle shell... and it ain't pretty.

I'm sure the car isn't all bad.  I'm just used to driving bigger vehicles.  I'm used to driving BIGGER vehicles with BIGGER engines.  When you think of bigger engines you think of horsepower.  I'm not even sure if mine has ponypower.  It DOES have a blistering 0 - 60 miles per hour time.  I can go from 0 - 60 mph in about 4.7... days.  I think that lands me on the speed chart somewhere between a scooter and old school pair of L.A. Gear sneakers.  (Don't laugh at the L.A. Gear.  I used to run pretty fast in those!)

It does have a little bit of passing speed.  But that comes at a price.  When I'm on the interstate and I try to pass someone the car literally take a minute or two to negotiate the requested course of action.

Me: (Pressing the gas pedal because I'm merging onto the interstate)
Car: Really?
Me: Yes.  Right now please.
Car: (Deep breath) Are you serious?
Me: Yes.
Car: What's wrong with going 45mph?  A lot of respectable people never went over 45.
Me: Name one.  Never mind that! You are the car.  When I press the gas pedal you should do as I say!
Car: How's that working for ya?
Me: Grrrrr!!!!
Car: Ok. Fine!  Whatever. (Continues to the desired speed while taking a small break at 55 to make sure the desired speed is in the best interest of all parties involved.)

All of that and I'm not really a speed demon.  But I do like a healthy number of horses in my stable.  I went from having 300 horsepower to about 140.  That's 160 horses!  When you consider the cost of the average horse ($1500 - $15000 - I would get one for around $10000 because that's how I stroll!) then you can see how my investment has really taken a nosedive.  160 horses at $10000 per horse... That's means I will have lost $1.6 million throughout the life of this car going from the Expedition to the Civic.  (You can try to look farther into this but the math is sound!  Ask anyone.  I do realize with the gas savings between the two means I come out about even but lets not look at that very minor, almost non-existent detail.)

I guess the real problem with all of this is that I just feel so small next to the other vehicles on the road.  My Oompa Loompa Mobile can't weigh much more than a fat chihuahua.  To be honest, I get nervous when I even pass dogs on the street.  I was going to work one day and a dog on the side of the road was having one of those sneezing fits (which I used to find hilarious until this) and he blew my car to another state.  Needless to say, I was late for work.  But they understood when I told them what happened.  To recap, I was in Tennessee... the dog sneezed... I ended up in Atlanta.  Not a good morning.  (And for those who don't believe me you can follow that story on a very reputable website... MY BLOG!)

There is also a directly proportional relationship between the size of the car and the size of the horn.  I think this is the single-most annoying thing to me.  The horn is so wimpy.  You can barely hear the horn over the engine.  Someone can cut me off on the road and I can't do anything to alert them of what happened.  No matter how mad I am and how hard I press the horn all I can give them is a little... beep.   Sadly, the sound in your head when reading the word beep is 17 times louder than the actual sound of my horn.  And THIS is the horn that's connected to my alarm.  THIS is the horn that is supposed to alert the world when someone is trying to steal my car.  THIS is my first line of defense.  THIS is also the alarm that if I'm more than 10 ft away from the car and a housefly goes by when it starts "blaring".... I cant even hear it.  And that's weird because it registers a strong .0000017 on the Richter scale.  The only reason I set the dumb thing is to see the lights flash when I do so.  (It's sad... but true.)

It has been a few weeks so I'm really trying to come to terms with this.  I can even see a really great positive.  My job is between 37 and 45 miles away (depending on which way I go) and I'm getting between 34 and 37.5 miles per gallon.  So I would say that's pretty good and, really, it's the main reason I even got the car.  (Especially since I was getting 16 before.)  I guess the main problem I'm having with all of this is that It's hard to come to terms with  the fact that on the road I used to be the pigeon (the BMOC) and now I'm just the statue under the pigeon.  (You can figure that out for yourself.)  It happens.

9 comments:

  1. I drive a space shuttle (which, surprisingly, gets 24 mpg) and last week I had to drive into the Big City. I got stuck in construction which meant I was going to be late for my appointment. In my head I just kept thinking, "Man! I could use a rocket right about now!" {SIGH}

    The nice thing about driving a small car is that you never have to pay for parking. You can just pick it up and put it in your pocket! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you on the wimpy horn thing, those things are so annoying. I wouldn't worry about it it terms of car alarms though.

    Car alarms are useless. All they are good for is the illusion of being protected. Nobody actually pays attention to them when the go off.

    And why would they? So many of them go off every time somebody walks by the vehicle that most of us, when we hear that annoying noise, don't bother to look out at the vehicle but just cuss the paranoid owner that parked it within earshot.

    Not all small cars lack power Que. Maybe you need to shop around more. Being a statue just gets you crapped on ya know? Just sayin ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word. You mentioned L.A. Gear sneakers and expect us not to laugh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ The Mommy - I like the whole pocket idea. Then you can take the car out and just add water to make it back to normal size. That would be awesome!!

    @ Laura~peach~ - Thanks. You should hear the thoughts I DON'T tell.

    @ Mustang Sally - You get my point about the statue. There is a saying that says that some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue.

    @ Lisa - L.A. GEAR!!! That's what I'm talking about right there. I almost brought up Kangaroos with the pocket in the shoe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Civics are normal size cars this side of the Atlantic. Would it be extreme to suggest you consider moving?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, I think they just think you are a UA - Uber Animaltarian.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, my car and I have that same gas pedal conversation every time. Hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are silly as heck. I would do something crazy to get 34 mpg. Go ahead. Complain about your slow car. I get 17 mpg in town and about 21 on the highway.

    ReplyDelete